Saturday, May 8, 2010

An Open Poem to my Brother

As I lay here in my bed,
next to where my daughter lays her head.
I can't imagine what our parents go through,
every time they get the call about you.
Does it matter to you at all,
how much it affects us when you fall?
You could have killed those people tonight!
What makes you think you had the right?
Go ahead, blame your wife.
She's no excuse to ruin your life.
Do you remember that machine breathing for you last time?
To erase that fear, still in my heart, I'd give my last dime.
Seeing you in that hospital bed
How close you were to being dead.
Never again is what you swore
Your promises I believe no more.
With another totalled car
Again here you are.
Aren't the rest of us enough
Is the choice really that tough?
Do you even care?
You keep taking that drinker's dare.
I'm scared one day your luck will dry.
We'll be here, left to cry.
To comfort each other,
We'll be without our little brother.
Something's got to give.
I hope you choose to live.
How would I explain the news
to your niece and nephews?
I hope next time you go out
that gives you something to think about.
How can you be so self-centered?
Have those of us you'll leave behind been considered?
You know I didn't write this without cause.
A picture you don't like, I hope for you it draws.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain, I could have written this same poem to my brother...
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete